- Email Signup
- Contact Us
- Progressive Party Positions Table
- Take Our Polls
- Issues Poster
- Progressive Platform
- End Political Repression
- Progressive Party 2010 Voter Pamphlet Statement
- Environment (draft)
- Financial (draft)
- Foreign Relations (draft)
- Labor (draft)
- Market (draft)
- Political Reform (draft)
- Social Issues (draft)
- Register to Vote
- Be a Candidate
- Suggest Potential Candidates
- Candidate Questionnaire
- CD 1 Special Election, January 2012
- Our 2010 Candidates
- Walt Brown for Treasurer
- Rick Staggenborg for U.S. Senate
- Chris Henry for U.S. Representative
- Peter DeFazio for U.S. Representative
- Contribute . .
- . . on Your Tax Form
- Flyers, Buttons, Posters, Videos
Progressive Party Platform
Submitted by info on Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:01
We recognize that people around the world all seek similar things: dignity, security, economic justice, human rights, and a healthy environment.
Unlike Democrats and Republicans we support these platform stances.
• We have worked for real campaign finance reform, not the fake “reforms” promoted by Democrats and Republicans. The Democratic Party of Oregon even opposed the 2006 Oregon campaign finance reform ballot measures that severely limited corporate influence in Oregon’s elections.
• We want a State Bank, modeled after North Dakota’s, to invest in Oregon jobs for Oregonians and to stop the State Treasurer and the Oregon Investment Council from speculating in the stock market and jumping in bed with corporate raiders and Wall Street fast-buck artists.
• We want fair taxation. Even after Measure 66 and 67 Oregon still has the 4th highest income taxes of any state on lower-income working families and is still at the bottom in taxes on corporations.
• We want to stop government promotion of gambling (like video poker and video slots) and stop giving away $100 million per year in commissions to the “delis” that have these addictive machines.
• We want to make the initiative and referendum again available to grassroots efforts, instead of making it so complicated and expensive that only corporations, unions, and out-of-state special interests can afford to use it.
• We advocate abolishing the Oregon Senate, leaving the 60 member Oregon House of Representative. Keeping two bodies in the State Legislature allows both to become beholden to corporate interests and avoid responsibility.
• We support same sex marriage and full equal rights for all regardless of sexual orientation. Our family values are that all members of the human family deserve compassion, equality, and love.
• The U.S. will adhere to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and use all resources to influence our trading partners to do the same.
• The U.S. will not provide economic or military aid to regimes that practice genocide, aparthaid, and break international human rights laws.
• We oppose “free trade” deals and economic policy that reduces the opportunities, environmental safety, and human rights of individuals in the developing world.
• We support Health Care as a human right. Single Payer, Improved and Expanded Medicare for all is the solution the the health care crisis.
• We want to end racial and immigrant profiling and end the militarization of our police.
• We advocate a strong United Nations as the guarantor of world peace; the U.S. military budget will be markedly reduced and the Department of Peace will be instituted.
• The U.S. will never again engage in a preventive war of choice and will only act unilaterally when our security is clearly threatened.
• We must end the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.
• The U.S will ban all arms exports and use our leverage with our trading partners to influence them to do the same and not increase weapons exports as is the current Democratic Administration’s agenda to increase overall U.S. exports.
• The U.S. will not interfere in the activities of democratically elected governments anywhere.
• The U.S. will have effective gun control.
• Every American will have access to a quality education to the full extent of their abilities.
• Every American will have access to guaranteed quality health care, regardless of their financial means.
• Immigrant workers will receive full protection of our labor laws.
• We oppose Wall Street bailouts and believe people must be placed over profit.
• End “too big to fail” policy.
• We will work to end poverty.
• Our minimum wage laws will be adjusted to ensure that every full-time adult worker receives a living wage.
• Trade policy will embrace workers' rights, environmental protection, and living wages around the world.
• The "personhood" of corporations will end.
• We believe in a balanced federal budget, except in times of national emergency.
• We need a sustainable energy future where we say NO to nuclear, coal, and offshore drilling.
• Present and future generations are entitled to a healthy environment; sustainability will be our guide.
• Funding environmentally sound alternative energy sources will be a top national priority.